2019 Business and Sustainability Report Aluminum Specialist sets 2025 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Goal
Constellium SE has published its Business and Sustainability Report for 2019. The focus is on the company's progress towards its sustainability goals. In addition, the company announced that it aims a 25% reduction in GHG emissions compared to the base year 2015 is to be achieved by 2025.
“I am delighted by our significant progress. Achieving our Ecovadis Platinum ranking for corporate social responsibility practices and our ASI certifications are true testaments to our commitment to sustainability”, said Jean-Marc Germain, CEO of Constellium. “I am particularly proud of our achievements in improving our energy efficiency, which is at the heart of our efforts to limit our carbon footprint and reach our 2025 GHG target.”
Constellium also received a MSCI ESG rating of “AA” in 2020. MSCI ESG Research provides MSCI ESG Ratings on global public and a few private companies on a scale of AAA (leader) to CCC (laggard), according to exposure to industry-specific ESG risks and the ability to manage those risks relative to peers.
The report highlights milestones Constellium achieved in 2019, including:
- Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI): As a founding member of the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative, Constellium has promoted the adoption of ASI Standards across the aluminum value chain, which require that the industry operates under a demanding set of governance, environmental and social criteria. We received ASI Certifications for Singen’s casting and rolling operations in 2019. Our Neuf-Brisach facility in France was certified against ASI’s Performance Standard under provisional COVID conditions in 2020.
- Energy Efficiency: Thanks to dedicated energy efficiency programs at its plants, the company achieved a 2% improvement in energy efficiency from 2018 to 2019, with a 6.4% improvement against its 2015 benchmark - the equivalent of 100,000 metric tons of CO2 savings.
- Reducing Landfilled Waste: The quantity of production waste sent to landfill decreased by 7% as compared with 2018, preventing nearly 2,000 metric tons from ending up in landfill.
- Safety: Constellium's recordable injuries rate decreased from 3.31 in 2016 to 2.40 in 2019. This was well below the company's target of 2.61 in 2019 and remains significantly lower than the industry average. However, the company experienced one fatality, which led to the implementation of a new EHS initiative, focused on behavior.
- Sustainable Purchasing: Constellium expects its suppliers to comply with all applicable laws and sustainability practices and conducts regular sustainability due diligence. As of 2019, nearly two third of the company's key suppliers have been assessed.