Timesaver Casting Simulation
Introduction into Casting Simulation
Typical casting defects such as shrinkage, porosity or air entrapment are a big challenge to designers of cast products. While downstream corrections can be quite expensive, casting simulation with modern software tools enables designers to visualize and avoid these defects, thus ensuring manufacturing feasibility.
Shrinkage, porosity, air entrapment, cold shuts and mold degradation – these defects can typically occur in the casting process. They certainly pose a big challenge to designers of cast products. Additionally, as anywhere in product development, product designers of cast products feel the growing pressure to deliver better cast products that cost and weigh less. Hence, in order to create next-generation products, manufacturing feasibility has to be part of the design process. While innovative designs demand designers to evaluate their designs early, assessing whether a concept design of a cast product can be manufactured is a challenging task and traditionally requires a simulation expert. The good news is: Thanks to modern software solutions such as Altair Inspire Cast designers are now able to skip this extra time-consuming and costly step in the development process.
Simulation as a Design Tool - in 5 Easy Steps toward an Efficient Design
Altair Inspire Cast is a software tool that enables designers to gain valuable information about their designs early in the product development cycle – without the need for expert knowledge. Offering the complete casting simulation in 5 easy steps through highly intuitive user experience, Inspire Cast allows designers and foundry engineers to visualize and correct typical casting defects, validate their design, and improve the quality of the final cast product. Casting simulation with Altair Inspire is fast, easy, affordable and it provides accurate results – enabling designers to:
- Assess whether a concept design can be manufactured
- Compare concept designs to others with respect to manufacturing
- Reduce manufacturing tryouts by creating design guidelines
- Assess placements of gates, vents, risers and runners
- Validate the detailed design near the end of the development cycle
Three Opportunities to Learn More about Inspire Cast
To learn how Inspire Cast can help to ensure the manufacturability of casting products in the early concept phase, Altair shortly offers designers and foundry engineers in Germany three opportunities: in a webinar series in May, during the special tour “Meet the Expert” across Germany in June, and at the GIFA, the world’s leading trade fair for casting technology, in Düsseldorf, Germany.
- The free Inspire Cast webinar, jointly hosted by Altair and casting expert Rainer Böke, will start with an introductory webinar on May 14th. The webinar will focus on how to use Inspire Cast to visualize and correct typical casting defects, validate the design, and improve the quality of the final product. (webinar language: German).
- The special tour “Meet the expert” through Germany, stopping in Velbert (June 4th), Dresden (June 5th), and Stuttgart (June 6th) will be the perfect chance to see an entire simulation process in Inspire and to discuss specific use cases. Attendance is free of charge, the number of participants is limited.
- A visit to the Altair booth at GIFA (booth F52 in hall 13) will be the chance to see live demonstrations of Inspire Cast, Altair’s latest digital design technologies and discuss specific use cases.