Full Speed with Investment Casting
Smart Lightweight Solution for Motor Racing
Weight savings is essential in racing. The competitive advantage can be gained with the best, lightweight design. Every gram that can be saved on the racing car can make it faster and more agile. Victory or defeat can be determined by only one millisecond.
FEINGUSS BLANK developed an investment casting solution for a racing car using the "Digital Twin" performance package. As part of a manufacturing cooperation, Feinguss Blank was able to significantly reduce the component weight. The die casting company has recently developed and successfully implemented this service package to its customers. Thanks to new technologies, an investment casting part can be fully optimized by utilizing the Digital Twin package before a single part is manufactured.
The Digital Twin is the key to sustaining customer added value. By implementing modern simulation methods, it is possible to simulate the essential steps in production and identify and eliminate possible concerns at an early stage. The "Digital Twin" service package includes the following features, among others:
- Material simulation: What is the right material and heat treatment for the respective application?
- FEM calculation: Does the component withstand the application loading?
- Casting and solidification simulation: Can the component be easily and economically casted?
- Topology optimization: Can the geometry be optimized according to the loads and the casting process?
By means of these simulations, material recommendations, feasibility analysis, and part optimizations can be determined for the customer. Based on the findings of the Digital Twin, the following investment casting process can be realized:
- a safe, economical process through recognition and utilization of cost saving potentials
- complex geometries and the processing of difficult materials
- reduction of processing efforts through highest casting precision combined with intelligent lightweight construction
- reduction and minimization of development times
- weight optimization and reduction of material usage
- reduction of development and production start-up costs
Advantages of the Digital Twin
Different versions or iterations can be digitally tested finding the best possible option. The concept is reinforced by utilizing various methods of additive manufacturing. Once the design has been fixed, advanced samples and/or prototypes can be quickly produced using 3D printing technology. Cost-intensive tool production is no longer necessary. This combination of digital preparation and rapid availability of the initial components makes the difference. This saves development time and costs while significantly reducing the time to market introduction.
This article was first published by Feinguss Blank.
This article is protected by copyright. You want to use it for your own purpose? Contact us at support.vogel.de (ID: 45798889)