Lightweighting Award 2020 Worldwide Call for Entries - Annual Altair Enlighten Awards
Altair, a global technology provider of solutions for product development, high-performance computing and data analytics, is pleased to announce that entries are invited to the 2020 Altair Enlighten Awards. The 8th Annual Enlighten Awards are presented jointly with the Center for Automotive Research (CAR).
The competition was launched to recognize the world's best initiatives in reducing vehicle weight and meeting emissions targets. These initiatives often inspire further breakthrough innovations that bring the industry closer to a more sustainable future.
The Enlighten Awards, which recognize achievements and technologies in automotive lightweight design, are presented in four categories:
- Full Vehicle - outstanding lightweight design achievements in a complete vehicle.
- Modules - lightweight construction innovations in a subsystem or component.
- Enabling technology - any development that enables lightweight construction innovations for automobiles, such as a material or a joining technology.
- Future of Lightweighting - innovative ideas, materials, processes and technology that have great potential for lightweight construction but have not yet been used in vehicle production.
"When we at Altair think about the dangers of global warming and climate change, we ask ourselves how we can help. We strongly believe that our solutions help our customers fundamentally rethink and improve vehicles to reduce weight without compromising performance," says James Scapa, CEO and founder of Altair. "So eight years ago, we created the Altair Enlighten Awards to recognize innovative ideas from the industry that dramatically reduce vehicle weight and thereby lower emissions and costs.
"Once again, we are very pleased to work with Altair on this award in conjunction with the annual CAR Management Briefing Seminars," said Carla Bailo, President & CEO at the Center for Automotive Research. "The initiative provides an excellent opportunity for participants to gain worldwide recognition for their unique approaches to innovative solutions for the future of mobility. We look forward to recognizing those who have made significant contributions to this success".
The 2019 Altair Enlighten Awards honored seven projects, including:
- Ferrari's Portofino, which was an impressive 80 kg lighter and at the same time 35 % stiffer than the discontinued predecessor model.
- FCA's 4th generation Jeep Wrangler, which was 92 kg lighter than the previous generation of vehicles and which followed a modern strategy using lightweight aluminium, an SMC fibre-plastic composite and high-strength steel.
- ZF won the modules category with its latest knee airbag (KnAB) design, closely followed by General Motors & Continental Structural Plastics with the CarbonPro Pick-up Box.
- A feasibility study for #ULTRALICHTBAUSITZ, a joint project of Alba tooling & engineering, Automotive Management Consulting GmbH and csi entwicklungstechnik GmbH. Behind #ULTRALEICHTBAUSITZ is the idea to completely rethink the design of vehicle seats from scratch - by using state-of-the-art generative technology in line with the "Form Follows Force" philosophy.
- Material Sciences for MSC Smart Steel, the very first low density spot weldable composite material used in a car body application.
Entries must be submitted by 31 May 2020. Final judging will take place in June and winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on August 4th at the annual CAR Management Briefing Seminars (MBS) in Traverse City, Michigan.
This article is protected by copyright. You want to use it for your own purpose? Contact us at support.vogel.de (ID: 46348220)